Friday, June 2, 2006

Working for the Weekend

Dear Peanut,

The last month has just flown by. It seems like only yesterday that we were taking you for your one-month check up. And now we're nearing your two-month. The time is flying by far too quickly. And while I can't wait to get to each and every new stage with you, I wish desperately that they would last a big longer.

You are now up over 10 lbs of cuteness. And we found that you grew a whole 2.5 inches your first month on the outside. TWO AND ONE HALF. You realize that if you keep growing like this, you'll be taller than me by your 5th birthday? I am certain that you are going to hit the 6 foot mark by the time all is said and done. Which, incidentally, will give you a wicked serve one day.

You are already giving us every indication that you are going to be quite a handful once you are mobile. Your arms and legs seem to be in constant motion, and you are already scooting pretty well. In the evenings, when you fall asleep on Daddy's chest, you scoot yourself off his chest into the crook of his arm. Your butt ends up about 2 inches higher than your head. Do you like the blood rushing to your head? Does it remind you of your last few weeks in the womb? It seems you love to sleep with your head down below everything else.

One of the big changes you have brought to the house has been a change in my work schedule. I cannot wait to get home to you each night. The weekends seem too few and far between, and Friday night seems to take forever to get here. Don't get me wrong - I still love working, and love what I do. But my time with you is the very best thing I've got going. And time away from you and Daddy, in many ways, seems like such a waste. I suppose I should start playing the lottery every week - working my way to independent wealth...

When you nurse in the evenings, we read together. Right now, we are in the middle of "The Hobbit." While I don't think you're following the story all that well, you do seem to enjoy listening to my voice. And, have often smiled up at me while I'm reading. So far, we have learned all about hobbits, dwarves, wizards, goblins, trolls, and Gollum. I figure its best to start you out early on all this stuff... Daddy thinks its best to start you out early on Cardinal's baseball and the French Open.


Things I've learned about you this month:

  1. You don't cry so much as yell when you're hungry. Or lonely. Or bored. Little bursts of "Hey!"
  2. You LOVE to be naked.
  3. You are already a Neil Diamond fan - bopping your legs to "Cherry" like it was the best song EVER.
  4. Tummy time makes you incredibly hungry and tired.
  5. You like to stand on my lap, lean over my shoulder, and look out the window onto the front yard whenever you get the chance.
  6. You grunt loud enough in your sleep to wake me up, but you sleep through it like its nothing.
  7. You often find me hilariously funny. I'm still not quite sure why.
  8. You like to sleep upside down (or as close to upside down as you can get).

Well, sweetheart, you are all the way up to 7 weeks. 7 whole weeks on the outside, and you have changed a little bit each day. You are the most alert and active 7 week old I have ever seen - constantly looking around, taking in your surroundings, studying everything. There seems to be no end to your curiosity, and your energy. I love that about you. And I love you so much it breaks my heart.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: