Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Power of Love

Dear Ainsley,

Mommy has no idea what happened to June. It slipped by too quickly, and we're just now recovering. Sorry about that.

You, my sweet girl, are quite the bundle of energy. The hours you are awake are spent in constant movement. Not just movement - but fast movement. If its worth going to, its worth going to fast, I suppose. And what destruction you leave in your wake! "Hurricane Ainsley" has now torn up every room in the house, and Daddy and I are constantly moving more and more things out of your ever-expanding reach. I just don't know where you get all that energy! It seemed like you went from taking your first steps, to RUNNING in the blink of an eye. I think if there were a way to channel toddler energy, lightning would not longer be necessary to power the flux capacitor. We could just hook you up...

You have also grown more and more affectionate, which I just adore. You have even proffered kisses unrequested, which is simply the best feeling in the world. In the evenings, when I get home from work, you come tearing in from whatever room you are currently demolishing, squealing, grinning, arms and legs akimbo, wanting a hug and kiss from your Mommy. I have to confess, I spend far too much time during the day thinking about that moment when I will walk in the door at night.

Your vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds. Daddy is still your favorite and most-used word, followed closely by Elmo. You know pants, towels, outside, lotion, bath, bed, pee, brush, hair, nose, mouth, toes, shoes, hat, cracker, toast, up, down, kiss, shirt, socks, Fred Bird, and cat. Which really, covers all the basics, no? OH! And you know NO. You have developed the most annoyingly charming habit of picking up something you know you are not supposed to touch, and when Mommy or Daddy catches you with the contraband, you simply toss the item on the floor and say, "No, no, no." You've broken one remote control with this tactic. Is it that you think we won't bother to punish you, since you are showing us you already know the rules? Or do you think we didn't see you toss said item, and you're trying to act innocent? Whatever it is, it is damn adorable.

In the last couple weeks, you have developed a serious interest in all things potty related. You will stand at the bathroom door chanting "Pee, pee, pee, pee." whenever you see Mommy or Daddy in there. Last weekend, we decided it was time to get you a potty of your own. You seem interested, and according to Daddy, have spent a lot of time tossing Elmo into the potty. You aren't quite coordinated enough yet to sit on your own, but you'll get there.

We have made a more concerted effort lately to have dinner together. Typically, you get your dinner when I get home from work, and then Daddy and Mommy eat after you are in bed (yay, 7:30 bedtime!). The last few nights we've all eaten dinner together, and I have to say, its been wonderful. Last night, Daddy was having a rough day, and as we say down, was telling me all about it. As if sensing his sour mood, you proceeded to start an impromptu and unsolicited game of peek-a-boo. This was the first time I've seen you start the game on your own. You covered your eyes with your hands, pulled your hands away, and said, "Boo." The collapsed in a fit of giggles. Needless to say, the rest of dinner was riotous. You have quite the sense of humor, my little friend.

On Monday, Mommy met you and Daddy at the park after work. You spent 45 minutes chasing around the older kids, saying, "Outside, outside, outside, outside." You also managed to pull yourself UP the steps at the playground. Up was really no problem. Its the down we need to work on. I would hold your hand to help you down the steps, at which point you would collapse into a stubborn mound until I let go. And then try to step down yourself. You really don't have the coordination for down just yet, so its something we're going to have to keep working on. All your running at the park from Saturday and Monday has resulted in two skinned knees. I don't even think you realized what had happened - you bounced up like nothing and kept on running. Daddy has said, and I agree wholeheartedly, the skinned knees look great on you. Your intensely curious nature is great in that you love new experiences. But you run headfirst into these new things, with no thought to any consequences. I adore your willingness to explore and experience - but am terrified all at the same time. We are going to have to work on your cause-and-effect understanding pretty quick.

I know I have said this in just about every journal entry, but I am constantly amazed at how much you have learned in such a short amount of time. You devour books, which I love to see. You love to run and play and chase. You are simply fun to be around. And I love you so very much.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: